Saturday, July 12, 2008

Music & Lyrics

Well the first blog was painless and it took almost no time. it sort of left me wanting to write more so here's number 2.
Currently playing: Mix Cd Lindsy gave me. latin, rock, folk, old new, and everything in between
Music...aahhh I have more music than most people I know. I'm a fan, like a true fan! Also, I have the widest range of musical taste of anyone I know, is that a good thing? I love and own the cheesiest music you could imagine and love and own the hardest, heaviest, nastiest stuff you've probably never heard. I like to think that it's an ability to truly get where the artist is trying to get at. It makes a fool out of me when I listen to a mix CD like this one. I'm like ahhh what is that? and that!? Then if the lyrics catch me I may end up backing up, googling it and checking out the lyrics with the music.***

I'm always looking for good lyrics. Most, if not all, of my favorite artist are big influences for me lyrically speaking. Some will literally get me writing something or thinking hard about it by the end of a disc almost always. These are mostly Latin artist. Most recently Jason Mraz has caught my attention lyrically. He does get a bit poppy @ times and I think it's unnecessary but I can get over it. This thing some songwriters have, they just want a band. I just wish some of them would sit with a piano or a guitar and just play the songs instead of being distracted with tall the other crap. Pretty much every single one of my favorite songwriters have done it. They all have these songs in their repertoire that are just painful to hear.


***NEW RULE!!
When you're reading lyrics, DO NOT read ahead of the song, read the lyrics as they are being sung. The idea for them should be to facilitate your understanding of what is being said as they are sung. like subtitles when you watch a Foreign movie. Most songs, I'd say, are mostly about how the idea is expressed rather than what is actually said. Allow the song to actually take you, with music & Lyrics, where it intends to, In it's own pace. It's like someone telling you everything that happens in a movie right before you watch it. You can still enjoy the movie and all but but it's always better to find out what happens as it unfolds and I think songs should be the same @ least until it gets to the "repeat chorus X8" part.

It's pretty much the only way to get the true magic of Nirvana since it's hard to make out what Kurt is saying most of the time, sometimes he actually doesn't say the word it self but rather a mumble that has the same amount of syllables and some of the same vowels. Their lyrics aren't very deep but the emotion coming through, as Kurt mumbles what he intends to be the words, really paint the picture.

david

4 comments:

brett tilford said...

I want to listen to that dirty nasty music. Too bad I'm not coming to Virginia this year, maybe we could play some for the "afterglow" sessions?

Jonathan Reuel said...

Thanks for the rule for listening to music. In the next few months I want to start listening again -- I've been writing and traveling and working but not listening...

Joel said...

I was just about to make a smart ass remark about your lyric legalism (remember: we're not legalistic; it's a rule), but yeah, you're right. Sometimes, as big a fan as I am of words, I'll turn off the captions on a foreign movie, even if I don't know the language. It's kind of amazing what you can pick up on that way.

Actually, not to diverge too far, but this speaks to the general issue of noise, whether it's words or sounds (yes, even music) or the cacophony of thoughts that clog my head. The same way that we can miss so much in the music by reading ahead in the lyrics, we can miss so much of life and of the voice of God by failing to be in the moment and neglecting opportunities for silence.

Meg said...

I really enjoyed reading this post.

You make a good point about not reading ahead of songs. So although I rarely have the option to do this, I agree that I probably would have gotten more out of the other songs if I done it your way. I'll certainly keep it in mind for the future.

It's fun to read your thoughts.