Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Little Bob


OH Marley:

I got into Bob fully in 91. during my lonely times in Goshen, in the summer before I started college. found a book and 2 CD's in the library and sunk my teeth into it. Later in the winter of 93 while I was in Milwaukee I got the song book and a new boxed set that came out with just about everything.

It's amazing how his stuff manages to capture so much more than what his words are saying. They are more like guides rather than detailed directions. I mean his stuff can be pretty deep but what I tend to get in the end is so much more than that. You know they call his a prophet? This is where I share a few anecdotes that more or less show why people would think this but I won't, google it.

Being able to hear so much of someones life through the singing is just magical. Johny Cash was a lot like this as well. Singers need a lot less vocal chops if they can transmit this "life" through the singing. It's like a soft singing little bird will have a hard time having you feel the anguish the wolf feels when he howls. I don't, know has anyone heard a sad bird?

Obviously listening to Bob Marley Natty Dread CD (1974): This was Bob Marley's 1st album as Bob Marley & The Wailers. Some of the other main artists that were in the Wailers were gone. It's just Bob and the I-Threes. The singing background ladies. No Woman No Cry is in this album This was one of the CD's I got back in 91...well it was tape then.

No comments: